Home - About - Who We Are - Governance
At the Annual Meeting on February 19, 2012, the congregation voted to implement a new governance structure as recommended by the Governance & Leadership Task Force. The new structure will be implemented for a two-year period of discernment while we live into it and work to refine it. During this period all materials are considered to be in draft form and subject to change. The Church Governance and Policy Book
contains the details of the new structure which is summarized below.
The Church Council represents and leads the Congregation in attending to God and in the discernment of Church priorities, the stewardship of Church resources, and the assessment of the Church’s success in achieving these goals. Comments and questions for Church Council will reach them at FedChurchCouncil@gmail.com. An open forum meeting will be held in the Chapel at Bell Street at 10am on the second Sunday of each month to discuss issues that the Church Council is currently addressing. All are welcome to attend and ask questions. The nine elected members of the Church Council are:
Peggie Jo Shinagawa
Councilor for Worship & Music
Councilor for Spiritual Formation Todd Smith
Councilor for Congregational Care Jan Blank
Councilor for Mission & Service
Councilor for Telling Our Story
Administrative Councilor Dave Mustin
Worship & Music Commission
The members of this commission focus on the core ministry of glorifying God in worship
Their objectives are:
• In cooperation and consultation with the Senior Pastor, to glorify God and to coordinate and enhance the spiritual life of the Church through the conduct of public worship, the ministry of music, and the care of the Sanctuary and furnishings.
• To prepare the elements and assist with the serving of Communion, to make provisions for ushering, and to provide for altar flowers and temporary decorations for regular and special worship services.
The elected members of the Worship & Music Commission are: Hal Maskiell, chair, Pete Bednar, Ric Eickhoff, Randy Fusco, Sally Harrold, Ken Horner, Jim Newell, Janet O'Hara, Ryburn Taylor, Diane Tuuri.
Spirtual Formation Commission
The members of this commission focus on the core ministry of being shaped in the Christian Gospel
Their objectives are:
• To assist members of the congregation to grow in their Christian development, to enlarge and strengthen their Christian witness and to help them understand and participate in the whole work of the Church.
• To take overall responsibility for adult education in the Church. It shall initiate special programs, classes, discussion groups and other activities that will foster the Church’s ministry of spiritual growth and fellowship.
• To promote development of formation and fellowship programs of children and youth (through college or age 22) including setting policy, approving programs and making periodic evaluations of long-range goals for Church School.
• To involve young people of junior and senior high school age in the life of the Church in such ways that they may serve and be served.
The elected members of the Spiritual Formation Commission are: Dan Kershner, chair, Joe Coney, Heather Gayelit, Michael Gayelit, Elizabeth Goodin, Polly Manke, Kate Parr, Barbara Patton, Cary Sanders.
Congregational Care Commission
The members of this commission focus on the core ministry of bonding in community
Their objectives are:
• To foster attendance at Church services, assimilation of new members and an expanded ministry of fellowship.
• To provide compassion, personal visitation, and service in response to special needs of the Congregation.
• In collaboration with the Clergy, provide classes for prospective new members.
• To provide fellowship opportunities for a variety of groups.
• Membership retention
The elected members of the Congregational Care Commission are: Carolyn Cunningham, chair, Jane Biggar, Norma Bobbitt, Laura Davis, Nancy Glick, Bonnie Goldston, Sue Mansour, Betty Pugh.
Mission & Service Commission
The members of this commission focus on the core ministry of encouraging involvement in mission and service
. Their objectives are:
• To assess missions and opportunities from local to international levels and propose action regarding mission projects and social issues.
• To foster and oversee a mission and benevolence program, giving special consideration to the program of the United Church of Christ.
• To educate the congregation concerning social and political issues morally relevant to Christians and to act as an information clearing house regarding them.
The elected members of the Mission & Service Commission are Alan Shinagawa, chair, Sharen Bakke, Sarah Cruise, Peggy Graham, Heather Harris, Paul Koepf, Bill VerDuin, Cathy Watterson.
Telling Our Story Commission
The nine elected members of this commission focus on sharing our faith
Their objectives are:
• In collaboration with staff, to create and implement a plan which publicizes and makes known Federated’s purpose.
• To interpret the Church’s mission, purpose and annual vision of ministry in audience appropriate ways:
o Current members
o Lapsed members
o Formerly churched
• To share the many ministries of Federated Church with the community beyond Federated.
• To annually develop a communication piece which celebrates the ministries and ministry teams of Federated.
The elected members of the Telling Our Story Commission are: Kathy Franz, chair, Wendy Davis, Nelson Fenner, Chuck King, Ann Lentz, Dick McBride, Jim Meyer.
Standing Council Committees
There shall be five standing committees elected to provide counsel to the Church Council.
Human Resources Committee - Chris Bednar, Tara Haskett, Barb Hudson, chair
Finance Committee - Skip Heston, Nolan Lai, chair, Wayne Vespoli
Properties Committee - Bob Leibold, Jim O'Hara, chair, Janet Peters
Legacy (Endowment) Committee - Anne Burr, Bill Gaskin, Paul Neidhardt, chair, Roger Pettibone
Nominating & Leadership Committee - Dawn Dole,chair, Maren Koepf, Helen Pointer
Council Appointed Committees & Delegates
The Church Council may establish committees and/or task forces to help it carry out its responsibilities. The current list of these groups is:
Stewardship Committee - Martine Scheuermann, chair, Marnie Albers, Jim Young.
Western Reserve Association Delegates - Norma Bobbitt, Brenda Grauer, Shirley Malzer, Faye Weber
Ohio Conference Delegates - Shirley Malzer, Faye Weber
Deaconess Community Foundation Delegates - David Doll, Jim Meyer