The Federated Church of Chagrin Falls, Ohio - Chagrin Falls, OH 44022
Provide clean, functional, well maintained, energy efficient, safe and secure properties across multiple locations. Lead the custodial staff by delivering training, setting expectations, and determining work schedules. Help the people who use our buildings and grounds feel welcome and at home.
- Perform, as well as oversee, custodial duties such as vacuuming, washing floors, dusting, removing trash, re-stocking bathrooms and kitchens, etc.
- Develop and maintain cleaning schedules and schedule work and hours of custodians.
- Ensure coverage for custodial services at events such as worship, programming, weddings, memorials; including coordinating with Events Management contractor, and opening and closing the buildings.
- Receive requests for set-up of events/functions; perform setup, tear-down, and proper storage of all furniture and equipment (e.g., tables, chairs, signage, audio/video).
- Recruit, train, supervise, and maintain staff and volunteers for custodial work. Conduct staff evaluations.
- Purchase and account for all custodial, office, and kitchen supplies, tools, and resources used in the maintenance of the properties and equipment, and the service of guests and congregants. Coordinate with Maintenance & Grounds, Lead, on all supply, staffing or equipment needs.
- Manage and maintain audio/video equipment, including event set-up and tear-down.
- Partner with Maintenance & Grounds, Lead, on snow removal and large projects (e.g., landscaping, deep cleaning).
- Operate machinery such as snow plow, gator, and mower, as needed.
- Partner with Maintenance & Grounds, Lead, to ensure the safety of staff and congregation members; ensure a safe work environment including the proper use of machinery, and caustic or flammable substances.
- Partner with Maintenance & Grounds, Lead, to develop emergency procedures and training, conduct periodic safety inspections, and maintain appropriate records.
- Partner with Maintenance & Grounds, Lead, to manage HVAC systems.
- Partner with Maintenance & Grounds, Lead, to plan and perform minor maintenance, repairs, and painting when appropriate.
- Partner with Maintenance & Grounds, Lead, and the Senior Director of Operations to monitor, maintain, and prepare annual budget.
- Serve as emergency contact person.
- Serve as backup to Maintenance & Grounds, Lead.
- Work occasional weekends and holidays, including Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve, and Easter Sunday.
- Manage recycling process.
- Make occasional pickups/deliveries (e.g., post office, supply runs).
- Serve as liaison to the Properties Committee (attend monthly meeting, provide information and input, gather information from Maintenance & Grounds, Lead).
- Attend staff meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Occasional direct supervision of contractors
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- High school diploma or equivalent
- At least three years of demonstrated success in same or comparable position
- Demonstrated success with leading staff and/or volunteers in this arena
- Demonstrated success with helping people and being of service
Basic level of proficiency in computer skills including Word, Excel, email, desktop software applications, and mobile applications; to complete reports, generate service orders, maintain inventories, etc.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety instructions and procedure manuals
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
- Ability to communicate in person, by email, and over the phone
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of situations
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions provided in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
- Work independently without supervision
- Recognize and forecast needs; prioritize, and organize, supervise, and delegate
- Valid driver’s license
- Successfully pass background check and drug testing
- Have one’s own vehicle to get to, from, and between church properties
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to bend, sit, reach with and use hands, kneel, move about, hear, and speak.
- Noise level may be high when operating power equipment.
- May be required to work in restricted spaces to include crawling and/or climbing as working at heights.
- Ability to work using ladders, scaffolding, mechanical lifts, church machinery and vehicles.
- Ability to spend most of the work-day standing, lifting, and walking.
- Ability to lift up to 75 pounds and move heavier materials using appropriate equipment.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to see, hear and smell in order to detect problems associated with mechanical, chemical, and other hazards that may affect personal and public safety.
- Employee is required to properly use such safety equipment as is appropriate to the work to prevent injury to self or others.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions, in cold, hot, dry, wet and/or humid conditions. Exposure to noise, cleaning chemicals, fumes, gases/odors, and caustic chemicals is routine. It may be expected that the individual could be exposed to blood or other potentially infectious materials or illnesses during the course of their duties.
Job Type: Full-time
Required education: High school or equivalent
Required experience: Same or similar position: 3 years
Required license or certification: Valid Driver's License